Attraction gets arty
PECORAMA in Beer is hosting art weeks in September and October.
This is the second year the tourist attraction is running the exhibitions in the Station Gallery in its gardens.
The first week, beginning Monday, September 13, focuses on prints and sculpture. As last year, the Brook Gallery in Budleigh Salterton will be exhibiting prints. There will also be works by sculptors Margaret Lovell and Greta Berlin. Margaret lives in Bristol where she trained initially, then studied at the Slade and the Academy of fine art in Florence. Greta, who lives near Bridport, was commissioned to make the life-size bronze of the Sidmouth Fiddler, which stands in Connaught Gardens, to celebrate 50 years of Sidmouth Folk Festival.
From Monday, September 27 to Saturday, October 2, photographs and ceramics are in the spotlight. Ben Harries, a freelance fashion and portrait photographer living in London but with a home in Beer, will be exhibiting his work, which includes portraits of Will Young, Ruby Wax and Vivienne Westwood. Other artists featured include Jolly Sargent and Mary Jane Evans.
Week three, beginning Monday, October 11, is all about paintings and applied arts. Featured artist Andrea Rowbotham explores the relationship between landscape and body. Her work will run alongside that of artists including Anthea Stilwell and Edwina Broadbent.
You may also want to watch:
The site is open Monday to Friday, 10am-5.30pm and Saturdays 10am12.30pm. Entry to the gardens or exhibitions is free.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98