Baby beavers are growing up fast
- Credit: Archant
Baby beavers that were born this spring on the River Otter appear to be blossoming, according to this recent photo.
The news that England’s only wild colony of beavers had given birth to kits was taken as proof that the creatures are ‘thriving’ by Devon Wildlife Trust (DWT) in June.
Now, pictures taken by photographer Sylvie Meller show the young beavers to be healthy and already feeding on riverbed vegetation. Sylvie said: “They have grown already quite a bit, but are still tiny compared to their parents.”
The wild population is being studied as part of The River Otter Beaver Project, led by DWT.
The charity has appealed to members of the public to take care not to disturb the creatures and to keep dogs under close control, especially when near the river.
You may also want to watch:
A series of guided beaver walks have been organised by DWT – the next one will leave from Otterton at 7.30pm on Wednesday, August 26.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 8 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
- 9 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 10 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles