Bank details- cold caller warning
POLICE are warning Sidmouth and Ottery residents to be wary of cold callers asking for bank details. Several members of the public in the towns have complained to police about phone calls from companies who state they are able to claim back bank charges.
POLICE are warning Sidmouth and Ottery residents to be wary of cold callers asking for bank details.
Several members of the public in the towns have complained to police about phone calls from companies who state they are able to claim back bank charges.
The callers are asking for credit or debit card details including the three digit security number on the back of the card.
A police spokesman said: "It would appear that no criminal offences are committed by these companies, but householders are reminded that they do not have to become involved in these schemes and should not be pressured into making a quick decision.
"If they are tempted to take up this offer, then they are advised to read the contract in full taking into account the fees and commission that the company may charge."
Alternatively they can ask for their number to be removed from the database, or contact the Telephone Preference Service on 0845 0700707. For further information please visit
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 Preparations underway for Salcombe Regis Fair while car parking remains a hot topic
- 3 Building more homes alone won't solve housing crisis
- 4 Our library really is the jewel in Ottery's crown
- 5 Comedy and horror at Sidbury Manor in film being released next month
- 6 Concern over Sainsburys parking restriction plans
- 7 Levelling Up funding could make a real difference in Devon
- 8 Is 'no dig' gardening lazy or are we just replicating nature?
- 9 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 10 Plan unveiled to restore 'magical' hidden garden in Sidmouth