Bank details- cold caller warning
POLICE are warning Sidmouth and Ottery residents to be wary of cold callers asking for bank details. Several members of the public in the towns have complained to police about phone calls from companies who state they are able to claim back bank charges.
POLICE are warning Sidmouth and Ottery residents to be wary of cold callers asking for bank details.
Several members of the public in the towns have complained to police about phone calls from companies who state they are able to claim back bank charges.
The callers are asking for credit or debit card details including the three digit security number on the back of the card.
A police spokesman said: "It would appear that no criminal offences are committed by these companies, but householders are reminded that they do not have to become involved in these schemes and should not be pressured into making a quick decision.
You may also want to watch:
"If they are tempted to take up this offer, then they are advised to read the contract in full taking into account the fees and commission that the company may charge."
Alternatively they can ask for their number to be removed from the database, or contact the Telephone Preference Service on 0845 0700707. For further information please visit
- 1 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 4 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 5 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 8 ‘Act now’ to get flood-prone school relocated, councillor urges Government
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 10 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth