Barbara’s second skydive for Admiral Nurse Campaign
- Credit: Archant
A skydiving grandmother has raised £600 for the Sid Valley Memory Café’s Admiral Nurse campaign - by leaping from a plane for the second time in four months.
Barbara Mence (pictured right) took on the challenge to help the cause, despite vowing never to do it again.
The charity is hoping to raise £100,000 to hire a dementia specialist nurse to look after up to 700 people living with the condition and their families in the Sid Valley.
After hearing about the campaign, Barbara, 78, decided to jump again and set herself a £1,000 target.
She said: “People have been donating to my page and straight to the Sid Valley Memory Café - I know there will be £1,000.”
You may also want to watch:
The grandmother jumped from 15,000 feet in April to raise money for the Alzheimer’s Society. Her husband, Alan, had been diagnosed with the disease in 2012.
Barbara raised £4,500 from her parachuting antics.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
Alan, 83, worked as family doctor in Birmingham for 30 years before retiring in 1994.
Barbara said: “He says that this is the worst thing that has happened to him and I can see, only too well, the devastating changes that this disease inflicts on the sufferer - and the effect that has on those who love him best.”
Friends, family and members of the memory café turned up to support Barbara at the end of June.
The former nurse said her latest dive would be her last. “I wanted to enjoy it this time,” she said.
“But there was a long wait and I became nervous. I won’t be doing it again.”
To donate to the Sid Valley Memory Café skydive, visit Barbara’s online page at https://mydonate. bt.com/fundraisers/barbaramence1