Barbara’s second skydive for Admiral Nurse Campaign
- Credit: Archant
A skydiving grandmother has raised £600 for the Sid Valley Memory Café’s Admiral Nurse campaign - by leaping from a plane for the second time in four months.
Barbara Mence (pictured right) took on the challenge to help the cause, despite vowing never to do it again.
The charity is hoping to raise £100,000 to hire a dementia specialist nurse to look after up to 700 people living with the condition and their families in the Sid Valley.
After hearing about the campaign, Barbara, 78, decided to jump again and set herself a £1,000 target.
She said: “People have been donating to my page and straight to the Sid Valley Memory Café - I know there will be £1,000.”
You may also want to watch:
The grandmother jumped from 15,000 feet in April to raise money for the Alzheimer’s Society. Her husband, Alan, had been diagnosed with the disease in 2012.
Barbara raised £4,500 from her parachuting antics.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
- 4 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 5 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 6 Former Sidmouth student campaigns to save Afghan friends from Taliban regime
- 7 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 8 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
Alan, 83, worked as family doctor in Birmingham for 30 years before retiring in 1994.
Barbara said: “He says that this is the worst thing that has happened to him and I can see, only too well, the devastating changes that this disease inflicts on the sufferer - and the effect that has on those who love him best.”
Friends, family and members of the memory café turned up to support Barbara at the end of June.
The former nurse said her latest dive would be her last. “I wanted to enjoy it this time,” she said.
“But there was a long wait and I became nervous. I won’t be doing it again.”
To donate to the Sid Valley Memory Café skydive, visit Barbara’s online page at https://mydonate. bt.com/fundraisers/barbaramence1