Barclays announce Sidmouth branch to close
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth is set to lose another bank as Barclays announces it will be shutting its doors later this year.
The High Street branch will shut for good on Friday, November 16, with customers advised to use the Post Office or travel to the bank’s Honiton and Exmouth branches, nine and 11 miles away.
It follows the closure of NatWest this year and the Co-operative in 2016, leaving Lloyds, Santander and HSBC as the only branches in the town.
Michael Watts, community banking director for Barclays Devon and Cornwall, said: “The way customers undertake their banking is changing as people increasingly use online, telephone and mobile devices.
“At Barclays Sidmouth branch, customer usage has continued to decline and additionally 75 per cent of our branch customers are also using other ways to do their banking such as online and by telephone.
You may also want to watch:
“On average 41 per cent of our customers now regularly use alternative branches and this figure is even higher for our business customers.
“We’ve also identified that 175 customers use the counter to solely undertake their banking, which is why we have taken the difficult decision to close the branch.”
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
A spokeswoman said customers will receive a letter and document explaining the closure with posters displayed in the branch window.
She added the bank would be ‘proactively engaging’ with local businesses and the community to discuss alternative ways for customers to bank locally before the closure.
The spokeswoman said: “Staff will be relocated to nearby branches
“We urge any customer who is concerned about how to undertake their banking once the branch closes to contact us so that we can discuss alternative banking options.”
Are you a Barclays customer? What do you make to the closures? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org