Barn severely damaged by fire in Ottery
PUBLISHED: 12:39 15 February 2018 | UPDATED: 12:49 15 February 2018
A barn was severely damaged after a blaze broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Some 70 firefighters from across Devon helped to tackle the fire at Coombelake, near Ottery.
The barn, which measured approximately 50 metres by 15 metres and contained hay and farming equipment, was well alight when crews arrived just before 1am.
Crews from Ottery, Honiton, Middlemoor and a water carrier from Danes Castle were first called out after multiple calls from members of the public reporting a barn fire.
Firefighters got to work to bring the fire under control, evacuate animals from the building and protect surrounding premises.
Altogether, 13 fire engines were sent to the scene through the day until the fire was finally extinguished at 2.40pm.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “While changing crews there was a change in wind strength and direction. Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and set up an entry control point to boundary cool buildings in close proximity to the fire. Compressed air foam was used to blanket the buildings.”
The spokesman said crews used four main jets, a hose reel jet, four breathing apparatus sets, a street hydrant and a compressed air foam jet in total for the incident. He added: “The incident was sectorised and there was asbestos declared, which environmental health officers have been informed of.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.