Barn severely damaged by fire in Ottery
- Credit: Archant
A barn was severely damaged after a blaze broke out in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Some 70 firefighters from across Devon helped to tackle the fire at Coombelake, near Ottery.
The barn, which measured approximately 50 metres by 15 metres and contained hay and farming equipment, was well alight when crews arrived just before 1am.
Crews from Ottery, Honiton, Middlemoor and a water carrier from Danes Castle were first called out after multiple calls from members of the public reporting a barn fire.
Firefighters got to work to bring the fire under control, evacuate animals from the building and protect surrounding premises.
You may also want to watch:
Altogether, 13 fire engines were sent to the scene through the day until the fire was finally extinguished at 2.40pm.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “While changing crews there was a change in wind strength and direction. Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and set up an entry control point to boundary cool buildings in close proximity to the fire. Compressed air foam was used to blanket the buildings.”
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
The spokesman said crews used four main jets, a hose reel jet, four breathing apparatus sets, a street hydrant and a compressed air foam jet in total for the incident. He added: “The incident was sectorised and there was asbestos declared, which environmental health officers have been informed of.”