Barn ‘severely damaged’ in fire near Ottery
PUBLISHED: 16:17 14 February 2018 | UPDATED: 16:17 14 February 2018
A barn has been severely damaged by fire after a blaze broke out in the early hours of this morning.
The building, which contained hay and farming equipment, was well alight when crews arrived at Coombelake, near Ottery, just before 1am.
Currently, a crew from Ottery St Mary is still at the scene, more than 12 hours after the fire began.
A fire service spokesman said crews used four main jets, a hose reel jet, four breathing apparatus sets, a street hydrant and a compressed air foam jet in total for the incident.
He said: “The incident was sectorised and there was asbestos minor declared which environmental health have been informed of.”
Crews from Ottery, Honiton, Middlemoor and a water carrier from Danes Castle were first called out after multiple calls from members of the public reporting a barn fire.
Firefighters got to work to bring the fire under control, as well as evacuating animals from the building, and protect surrounding buildings.
Both fire engines from Sidmouth were also sent to the scene to relief crews.
A fire service spokesman said: “While changing crews there was a change in wind strength and direction. Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and set up an entry control point to boundary cool buildings in close proximity to the fire. Compressed air foam was used to blanket the buildings.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.