Barn ‘severely damaged’ in fire near Ottery
- Credit: Archant
A barn has been severely damaged by fire after a blaze broke out in the early hours of this morning.
The building, which contained hay and farming equipment, was well alight when crews arrived at Coombelake, near Ottery, just before 1am.
Currently, a crew from Ottery St Mary is still at the scene, more than 12 hours after the fire began.
A fire service spokesman said crews used four main jets, a hose reel jet, four breathing apparatus sets, a street hydrant and a compressed air foam jet in total for the incident.
He said: “The incident was sectorised and there was asbestos minor declared which environmental health have been informed of.”
You may also want to watch:
Crews from Ottery, Honiton, Middlemoor and a water carrier from Danes Castle were first called out after multiple calls from members of the public reporting a barn fire.
Firefighters got to work to bring the fire under control, as well as evacuating animals from the building, and protect surrounding buildings.
- 1 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 4 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 5 Business owners are asking 'has the Government done enough to help?'
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 Peninsula League season could be over
- 8 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 9 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
- 10 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
Both fire engines from Sidmouth were also sent to the scene to relief crews.
A fire service spokesman said: “While changing crews there was a change in wind strength and direction. Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and set up an entry control point to boundary cool buildings in close proximity to the fire. Compressed air foam was used to blanket the buildings.”