BBC Radio 2 presenter Simon Mayo book signing in Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
BBC Radio 2 presenter Simon Mayo signed copies of his new novel at an event at Sidholme Hotel on Thursday evening.
“The audience was terrific. The questions were some of the best we’ve had this week, very learned. They had been listening really intently,” he said.
His first novel for adults called Mad Blood Stirring is set in Devon. It tells the story of American Prisoners of War being held at Dartmoor prison in 1815 and segregated by race who perform Romeo and Juliet.
“We’re hoping to go to the prison. We have been invited to go there and that would be thrilling. But we obviously had to come to Devon because it’s where the story started,” he said.
There was an audience of about 100 in the Music Room at Sidholme Hotel. Simon Mayo was interviewed and then answered questions from the audience.
You may also want to watch:
Kerry Gibbons of Sidmouth said: “It was entertaining and interesting. It made me want to buy the book. He comes across as very accessible,”
Dawn Tate, also from Sidmouth, said: “I really enjoyed it. He’s really engaging.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
The event was a curtain-raiser for this year’s Literary Festival which runs from June 15-17.