Be cautious with candles and more news
Firefighters have warned Sidmouth and Ottery residents that candles could lead to house blaze heartache. Read this and more.
COFFEE: A Christmas coffee morning, will take place next Saturday, November 26 from 10am to noon, at Sidmouth Methodist church hall. The event features various stalls and a raffle and is in aid of Sidmouth Friends of Samaritans. Admission (80 pence) and includes a mince pie and drink.
CONCERT: A Christmas concert will be held on Saturday, December 10, from 7.30pm, by Sidmouth Choral Society. It will be held at All Saints Church with tickets (�9) available from Paragon Books in High Street or on the door.
CANDLE DANGER: Firefighters have warned Sidmouth and Ottery residents that candles could lead to house blaze heartache. Candle Fire Safety Week runs until November 20. “As the days grow darker and winter is setting in, a few candles scattered around the home can lend a warm glow to an evening in or add some festive cheer to Christmas celebrations,” said a fire service spokesperson. “But more than 50 fires are started by candles every day. The most important steps you can take to keep yourself and your loved ones safe include making sure your candles are kept away from flammable materials like curtains and putting them out when you leave the room, even for a moment.” Fire Investigation Officer, Mike Burroughs, added: “It’s important to remember that a candle is not just another piece of furniture. Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation.”
- 1 Plans for new town - and THOUSANDS of new homes - in East Devon revealed
- 2 Ottery family lights up home in memory of mum
- 3 Dates for Santa's sleigh tour of Sidmouth, Sidford and Newton Poppleford
- 4 Two-years-missing cat back home after turning up in Sidmouth
- 5 Plans for quarry at Ottery St Mary REFUSED
- 6 Sidmouth's band announces cancelled concerts
- 7 The show must go on as theatre group takes to the stage
- 8 Sidmouth late night shopping is back after the pandemic
- 9 Sidmouth Running Club welcomes return of the Bicton Blister
- 10 Van fire spread to hedgerow on busy route