Beacon to be lit in Sidmouth to mark Queen’s 90th birthday tonight (Thursday)
- Credit: Archant
Seafront beacon will be one of 1,000 lit across the UK to mark Her Majesty’s milestone tonight (Thursday)
The Queen’s 90th birthday will be marked with the lighting of a beacon on Sidmouth seafront tonight (Thursday, April 21).
The beacon will be among a chain of more than 1,000 to be lit across the country that evening to mark Her Majesty’s milestone. The Queen will light the first one in Windsor.
East Devon District Council(EDDC) chairman Councillor Stuart Hughes will be lighting the beacon in Sidmouth, situated by the rock groyne near Fore Street between the York Hotel and Saltrock, at 7.05pm.
The Sidmouth Mummers and Sidmouth Town Band will be performing nearby just after 6.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hughes said he was honoured to be lighting the beacon to mark the Queen’s birthday.
He said: “I hope that as many people as possible will be able to join us and sing Happy Birthday to The Queen. She is an extraordinary woman who has dedicated her life to her country and may she have many more birthdays to come.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival