Beacon to be lit in Sidmouth to mark Queen’s 90th birthday tonight (Thursday)
- Credit: Archant
Seafront beacon will be one of 1,000 lit across the UK to mark Her Majesty’s milestone tonight (Thursday)
The Queen’s 90th birthday will be marked with the lighting of a beacon on Sidmouth seafront tonight (Thursday, April 21).
The beacon will be among a chain of more than 1,000 to be lit across the country that evening to mark Her Majesty’s milestone. The Queen will light the first one in Windsor.
East Devon District Council(EDDC) chairman Councillor Stuart Hughes will be lighting the beacon in Sidmouth, situated by the rock groyne near Fore Street between the York Hotel and Saltrock, at 7.05pm.
The Sidmouth Mummers and Sidmouth Town Band will be performing nearby just after 6.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hughes said he was honoured to be lighting the beacon to mark the Queen’s birthday.
He said: “I hope that as many people as possible will be able to join us and sing Happy Birthday to The Queen. She is an extraordinary woman who has dedicated her life to her country and may she have many more birthdays to come.”
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout