Beer and Branscombe 'terror' project
A PROJECT designed to protect ports and coastal waters from the threat of crime or preparatory acts of terrorism has been implemented in Beer and Branscombe. PC Steve Speariett will regularly monitor the beaches looking out for unusual activity or behavio
A PROJECT designed to protect ports and coastal waters from the threat of crime or preparatory acts of terrorism has been implemented in Beer and Branscombe.
PC Steve Speariett will regularly monitor the beaches looking out for unusual activity or behaviour.
The assignment is part of Project Kraken, a crime and counter terrorist strategy, to protect the waters of Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly.
A spokesperson for the UK Border Agency said Project Kraken provided a mechanism for the reporting of unusual activity or behaviour, believed or suspected to be linked to acts of crime or preparatory acts of terrorism.
You may also want to watch:
"Whilst it is almost impossible to say with any certainty what a criminal or a terrorist may look like, an individual's activity or behaviour can become suspicious in the context of the location they are in.
"Likewise, the unexpected or unusual presence of a vessel or a particular cargo within a small port or marina might just cause reason for concern by those who visit that environment on a regular basis.
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 5 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 8 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
- 9 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
"Project Kracken allows for the appropriate deployment of assets and resources from police and its partner agencies in response to a potential or defined threat."
If anyone spots anything suspicious in Beer and Branscombe waters, they should call the central Devon and Cornwall Constabulary number on 08452 777444, quoting the words Project Kraken.