Beer Brownies leader plea
BEER Brownies will be forced to close-down at Christmas unless a new leader takes up the reins. Joan Hansford, who retired as a pack leader more than a year ago, has had to temporarily take up the post after the previous leader left the village in April.
BEER Brownies will be forced to close-down at Christmas unless a new leader takes up the reins.
Joan Hansford, who retired as a pack leader more than a year ago, has had to temporarily take up the post after the previous leader left the village in April.
She said: "I have a business and grandchildren and it's too difficult to juggle everything."
The Beer pack has been running for around 80 years and Joan says she would hate to see such a village establishment disappear.
You may also want to watch:
She added: "It's such as shame. All these years we've had a Brownies pack in Beer and if it closes it will have a knock-on effect on the Rainbows-they won't have anywhere to go."
Twelve youngsters currently attend Beer Brownies which is held on a Monday evening from 5.15pm-7pm.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 8 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
Joan is appealing for people to come forward and said it would be perfect for a group of friends to take over.
She said: "No qualifications are needed and you will receive training."
Volunteers are also needed to assist the leader. For more information ring Joan on (01297) 21012.
* Beer Brownies will be hosting a coffee morning to start the village's regatta week. It will be held on August 8 in Mariners Hall from 10am-12noon. There will be various stalls and a tombola.