Beer goes quackers for charity
BEER residents and visitors went quackers for a charity event on Sunday, raising nearly �500 for the RNLI. The annual Lifeboat Week duck race saw the yellow rubber competitors hurtling down Beer Brook from the Dolphin Hotel to Bay View.
The afternoon began with a display by Lyme Regis lifeboat, before the races were launched by Jim Knight, county councillor for Seaton Rural. Marlene Anning, who helps at the Beer RNLI hut overlooking the seafront, said: “It was good fun, and the children particularly enjoyed it. It’s a fun way to raise money for a brilliant cause.”
There were eight heats, followed by the grand final, with 20 entries per heat.
Seaton, Beer and District Branch RNLI secretary Wendy Cummins said: “Every entrant paid a �1 and hoped their duck won. The ducks were kindly loaned to us by Lyme Regis RNLI Guild, so I hope they all came back safely!”
Wendy added: “I’d like to thank all those businesses who supported us.”
You may also want to watch:
The winners of the duck art competition, where youngsters were invited to colour in a duck picture, were announced at the RNLI hut. They were Isabelle Burley, three, of Clapps Lane, Ethan Gibble, six, of Underleys, and Emma Burley, seven, of Clapps Lane. They all received goodies including colouring materials. Isabelle got an extra activity book as overall winner.
A table top sale at Mariners Hall the day before raised �225 to kick the week off, which was up on last year, taking the total so far to around �700.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
To round the week off, today there will be a quiz night at Beer Social Club, 7.30pm for 8pm. Teams of four, entry �1 per person.