Beer goes quackers for charity
BEER residents and visitors went quackers for a charity event on Sunday, raising nearly �500 for the RNLI. The annual Lifeboat Week duck race saw the yellow rubber competitors hurtling down Beer Brook from the Dolphin Hotel to Bay View.
The afternoon began with a display by Lyme Regis lifeboat, before the races were launched by Jim Knight, county councillor for Seaton Rural. Marlene Anning, who helps at the Beer RNLI hut overlooking the seafront, said: “It was good fun, and the children particularly enjoyed it. It’s a fun way to raise money for a brilliant cause.”
There were eight heats, followed by the grand final, with 20 entries per heat.
Seaton, Beer and District Branch RNLI secretary Wendy Cummins said: “Every entrant paid a �1 and hoped their duck won. The ducks were kindly loaned to us by Lyme Regis RNLI Guild, so I hope they all came back safely!”
Wendy added: “I’d like to thank all those businesses who supported us.”
The winners of the duck art competition, where youngsters were invited to colour in a duck picture, were announced at the RNLI hut. They were Isabelle Burley, three, of Clapps Lane, Ethan Gibble, six, of Underleys, and Emma Burley, seven, of Clapps Lane. They all received goodies including colouring materials. Isabelle got an extra activity book as overall winner.
A table top sale at Mariners Hall the day before raised �225 to kick the week off, which was up on last year, taking the total so far to around �700.
- 1 New store launches in Sidmouth's Fore Street
- 2 Ukraine refugee supporter Mukie opens community cafe
- 3 Sidmouth’s first Jazz Festival hits the right note
- 4 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 5 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 6 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 7 Future of Red Arrows show ‘up in the air’ as environmental debate continues
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 'We need better balance over second homes in East Devon'
- 10 New direction and new chair at Vision Group for Sidmouth
To round the week off, today there will be a quiz night at Beer Social Club, 7.30pm for 8pm. Teams of four, entry �1 per person.