Beer panto cancelled for 2012 after problems
Beer’s Panto People are ‘bitterly disappointed’ at having to cancel the village’s famous pantomime this year after the production was beset by problems.
After a major cast member dropped out of ‘Robin Hood’ last weekend organisers took the decision to call off the much-loved event.
Audrey Tims, from Beer Panto People, said she and the remaining cast felt let down with the commitment levels of some people.
She said the rest of the cast had agreed, with just four weeks to go until opening night, there was not time to get someone to fill in the part, as they were already behind schedule in rehearsal.
So at a meeting on Monday they decided it was better to cancel the shows for this year rather than put on a performance they were not happy with.
You may also want to watch:
It will be only the second time in more than 30 years Beer doesn’t have a pantomime.
Audrey said it was not a decision they wanted to have to make, but after problems with lighting and getting a pianist for the production they felt it was the best option for the panto.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 3 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 6 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 9 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 10 Vision Group awards recognise 'champions' who helped Sidmouth pull through lockdown
The rest of the cast have decided to stick together however, and will continue to rehearse in preparation for next year.
Audrey said they will meet once a month in the Congregational Hall, and she hopes by starting early they will have everyone in place by September, and prevent similar problems for 2013’s production.
But she wanted to stress speaking parts still needed casting, and hoped people would be willing to help keep the panto tradition in Beer alive.
She warned if the panto doesn’t get put on next year then: “It could be the end for the group.
“It’s that serious.”
The panto was due to be on in the Mariners Hall on February 16, 17 and 18, and Audrey said she had to contact a family in Birmingham who had booked a holiday cottage in Beer especially for it.
The next rehearsal is on February 5, to get involved contact Audrey Tims on (01297) 20048 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.