Beer scouts cook up a storm in competition
Some of the Scouts from Beer proved they could stand the heat in the kitchen at a regional cooking competition.
A team of four young chiefs aged between 10 and 13 years old represented Devon scouting in the ‘South & South West Regional Cooking Competition’.
Out of 56 Scouts representing 14 teams from around the south and south west, the team from Beer finished third in the annual regional cooking competition at Shurdington Scout hut, Gloucestershire.
The competition challenged the team of head chef Charlotte, Amy, Matthew and Imogen to cook a three course meal using a two ring gas burner, in two hours for four people, on a budget of just �4.50 per head.
As the theme was ‘Local’ the Beer scouts created a picnic because to reflect their seaside village home, and cooked a fish soup to start, dressed crab and salad for main having been taught by local fishmonger Alan Gribble, and an upside-down apple crumble with a lemon toffee sauce.
They impressed the two judges with their crab-dressing skills
Following the event Devon County Commissioner Russ Gibson came to Beer to present the scouts with badges and certificates for all their hard work. He said: “I was amazed at the food these young people produced under competition pressure. They should be really proud of themselves coming home with 3rd as we as county leaders are all very impressed by them“
- 1 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 2 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 3 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 4 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 5 SRC joins battle of Woodbury Common, Oh My Obelisk and the Sir Walter Round
- 6 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 7 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
- 8 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 9 Lethal Wasps produce five-star display
- 10 Arrows flying straight in the Sidmouth Darts League
Matthew aged 10, said: “ I was very nervous as we started to cook but I knew we could cook a good meal after all our practising”, and Amy added: “I could not believe it when they called our name out for 3rd place. Me and Charlotte jumped up and down.”