Beer scouts cook up a storm in competition
Some of the Scouts from Beer proved they could stand the heat in the kitchen at a regional cooking competition.
A team of four young chiefs aged between 10 and 13 years old represented Devon scouting in the ‘South & South West Regional Cooking Competition’.
Out of 56 Scouts representing 14 teams from around the south and south west, the team from Beer finished third in the annual regional cooking competition at Shurdington Scout hut, Gloucestershire.
The competition challenged the team of head chef Charlotte, Amy, Matthew and Imogen to cook a three course meal using a two ring gas burner, in two hours for four people, on a budget of just �4.50 per head.
As the theme was ‘Local’ the Beer scouts created a picnic because to reflect their seaside village home, and cooked a fish soup to start, dressed crab and salad for main having been taught by local fishmonger Alan Gribble, and an upside-down apple crumble with a lemon toffee sauce.
You may also want to watch:
They impressed the two judges with their crab-dressing skills
Following the event Devon County Commissioner Russ Gibson came to Beer to present the scouts with badges and certificates for all their hard work. He said: “I was amazed at the food these young people produced under competition pressure. They should be really proud of themselves coming home with 3rd as we as county leaders are all very impressed by them“
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 5 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 6 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 7 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
Matthew aged 10, said: “ I was very nervous as we started to cook but I knew we could cook a good meal after all our practising”, and Amy added: “I could not believe it when they called our name out for 3rd place. Me and Charlotte jumped up and down.”