Beer Scouts soak their award-winning leader
- Credit: Archant
Beer Scouts celebrated their leader’s award and his ‘unflagging sense of fun’ – by giving him a thorough soaking.
The Scout Association presented Nigel Groves with the Chief Scout Commendation for Good Service.
His group of youngsters armed themselves with buckets while rafting at Beer beach to make their leader of eight year’s day a memorable one.
Nigel said: “I don’t do scouting for the awards – the best reward for me is seeing the reactions from the young people when they overcome something or master a new skill.”
The accolade is given for at least five years’ service, to a member who has made a real contribution to the movement.
You may also want to watch:
One parent who witnessed Nigel’s drenching said: “We are really grateful for the hard work Nigel puts in for the scouts. They are always busy doing something or going somewhere.”
To help out with the group, call Nigel on 01297 21159.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future