Beer Scouts soak their award-winning leader
- Credit: Archant
Beer Scouts celebrated their leader’s award and his ‘unflagging sense of fun’ – by giving him a thorough soaking.
The Scout Association presented Nigel Groves with the Chief Scout Commendation for Good Service.
His group of youngsters armed themselves with buckets while rafting at Beer beach to make their leader of eight year’s day a memorable one.
Nigel said: “I don’t do scouting for the awards – the best reward for me is seeing the reactions from the young people when they overcome something or master a new skill.”
The accolade is given for at least five years’ service, to a member who has made a real contribution to the movement.
You may also want to watch:
One parent who witnessed Nigel’s drenching said: “We are really grateful for the hard work Nigel puts in for the scouts. They are always busy doing something or going somewhere.”
To help out with the group, call Nigel on 01297 21159.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Property of the Week: Fortfield Terrace, Sidmouth
- 3 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 4 Photo competition will capture the town's important moments
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 7 Good vibrations will be felt as the boys return to the beach
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Band are back... and music lovers brave rain to enjoy show