Beer shows it is Charming
BEER S annual Charm Show was a charming addition to a wet November Sunday.
BEER'S annual Charm Show was a charming addition to a wet November Sunday.
A range of charm chrysanthemums were shown at the event, organised by Beer Horticultural Society (BHS), in the Mariners Hall last weekend.
Ursula Makepeace, chairman of BHS, said: "Once again, in spite of inclement weather, the quality of those charms that were exhibited was very good. The quality of photographs was also impressive.
"Sadly, John White who was a staunch supporter of the society for many, many years and who has won countless prizes in the Charm Shows over the years has now retired from the horticultural society and is greatly missed. We very much hope that others will try and follow in his footsteps."
You may also want to watch:
Visitor numbers to the Charm Show, which is only one of two events of this kind to be held in the South West, were slightly down this year. Organisers believe Remembrance Sunday and poor weather was a contributing factor to the low numbers.
Ursula added: "Sunday afternoon was an enjoyable social event enhanced by delicous home-made cakes and teas and coffees served by lady members of the society. This is not just an event for visitors; Beer residents are also heartily invited! We hope for better attendance figures next year."
- 1 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 2 New minibus takes voluntary service's fleet to three
- 3 Fancy a pint? Help support the survival of your local
- 4 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 5 Repaint of fish mural brightens up The Ham
- 6 Town's garden competition effort judged
- 7 Festival benefits connected businesses as well
- 8 New interiors showroom offers inspiration for your home
- 9 Wheels fall off for Tipton
- 10 Donkey sanctuary's new trail and batty activities this summer
Anyone who would like to grow charm chrysanthemums can obtain charm cuttings from John Lang next March. For more information ring John on (01297) 20647.
The next BHS event is the AGM which takes place in the function room of the Dolphin on Monday, January 4. The society welcomes new members.
Beer Charm Show Results
Best Beer Charm: Alf Boalch Cup: John Lang
Best in Show: Overall Champion Shield: John Lang
Best in Shape: John Lang
Best Visitor: Tucker Cup: Ted Mowlem
Best Cut Chrysanthemums: Hunter Cup: Ted Mowlem
Best Vase of Chrysanthemums Ewin Cup: Ted Mowlem
Best floral arrangement: Floral Vase Cup: Norah Jaggers
Best photograph: Barrel O'Beer Cup: Jayne Aplin