Beer women's RBL win award
BEER S Women Section of the Royal British Legion had a double celebration after receiving an award and collecting over �2,500 for the Poppy Appeal.
BEER'S Women Section of the Royal British Legion had a double celebration after receiving an award and collecting over �2,500 for the Poppy Appeal.
The branch received the accolade of runner-up in the Glanvil Salver for branch efficiency which they collected at a meeting in Tiverton recently.
They are dedicating the award to Joan Lawrence, secretary of the branch, who died in April aged 83.
Pat Bewick, Beer' Poppy Appeal organiser, said: "She was a very valued member of our team and we wanted to honour her."
In the last few weeks, the branch has also raised �2,583 for the Poppy Appeal through house-to-house collections, donations boxes and a coffee morning.
Pat added: "We are really pleased by the amount given and we would like to thank all of the people of Beer who contributed to the fund."
- 1 Tributes paid to East Devon councillor Val Ranger
- 2 Kings School pride in ‘resilient’ pupils collecting A-Level results
- 3 Timings announced for Sidmouth Airshow displays
- 4 A-Level results celebrated for students at Sidmouth College
- 5 A375 roadworks to restart in September
- 6 'Hop to it' - Ottery woman aims for world record frog collection
- 7 Passenger banned from sitting next to girls on the bus
- 8 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 9 Sidmouth's Pickard picks up South West of England Championship title
- 10 Body of woman found near Sidmouth
There are 18 members of the branch and are always looking for new people to join. For more information ring Pat on (01297) 21954.