Beer women's RBL win award
BEER S Women Section of the Royal British Legion had a double celebration after receiving an award and collecting over �2,500 for the Poppy Appeal.
BEER'S Women Section of the Royal British Legion had a double celebration after receiving an award and collecting over �2,500 for the Poppy Appeal.
The branch received the accolade of runner-up in the Glanvil Salver for branch efficiency which they collected at a meeting in Tiverton recently.
They are dedicating the award to Joan Lawrence, secretary of the branch, who died in April aged 83.
Pat Bewick, Beer' Poppy Appeal organiser, said: "She was a very valued member of our team and we wanted to honour her."
In the last few weeks, the branch has also raised �2,583 for the Poppy Appeal through house-to-house collections, donations boxes and a coffee morning.
Pat added: "We are really pleased by the amount given and we would like to thank all of the people of Beer who contributed to the fund."
- 1 Property firm on lookout for development land in East Devon
- 2 Opinion: 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 3 South West Water on the look-out for new graduate trainees
- 4 SRC joins battle of Woodbury Common, Oh My Obelisk and the Sir Walter Round
- 5 Property of the Week: Lower Broad Oak Road, West Hill
- 6 Sidmouth in Bloom hope to sow the seeds for national glory
- 7 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 8 Girlguiding achievements celebrated at church service
- 9 Lethal Wasps produce five-star display
- 10 'We'll have to put up with roadworks for a few weeks'
There are 18 members of the branch and are always looking for new people to join. For more information ring Pat on (01297) 21954.