Bid for year-round use of Branscombe campsite refused

PUBLISHED: 19:30 23 February 2017

Model house with design drawings

Model house with design drawings

Archant

A bid to use a Branscombe campsite throughout the year has been refused.

East Devon District Council (EDDC) officers said there was no evidence to support the numbers being proposed – up to 28 caravans, two static caravans and up to 64 tents – but it showed that Coombe View Farm is only used for camping on a seasonal basis.

Officers said it was unclear if the caravans left on-site throughout the year had been occupied for holiday purposes off-season or just stored there, although bookings suggest the latter.

They said there is no evidence that the two static caravans are occupied outside of the winter period, although they have planning permission, so did not need to be included in the certificate of lawfulness being applied for. In their report, the officers suggested granting a certificate of lawfulness to use the land as a seasonal campsite between March 15 and November 5, with a maximum of 19 caravans, while the number of tents should be limited to 15. In addition, up to nine caravans can be stored on the site between November 6 and March 14 each year. Officers also suggested that the site area should be reduced to the lower part of the plot, as the northern section is only used at peak times. The certificate of lawfulness was issued last week.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Sidmouth Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Sidmouth Herald