Big cat or poachers? Deer leg found in Sidbury
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth photographer made a grizzly discovery when she went down to the woods – and spotted a butchered deer’s leg hanging from a tree.
The woman, who wants to remain anonymous, said a number of her friends have stories of poachers and big cat sightings, but she doesn’t know who was to blame.
She was alerted to the fleshy find when her dogs started ‘acting really strange’ as she walked them through the dense growth of the woods at East Hill near Sidbury.
“My friend said he was sure he saw something bigger than an Alsatian, another spotted a pair of eyes and quickly retreated,” she added.
“I think a lot of people want to believe there’s a big cat.
You may also want to watch:
“It was hanging out of reach and quite out of the way – it’s a public path but not one many people use.”
The photographer said the limb looked like it had come from a younger animal, but she couldn’t explain how it ended up hanging around eight feet above her in the tree.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 8 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
“Some people have said there are poachers – but I know farmers and gamekeepers tie up flesh,” she added.