Big plans for The Balfour
- Credit: Archant
Carnival night went with a bang for one Sidmouth pub that reopened its doors just in time for Saturday’s festivities.
Regulars welcomed the revival of The Balfour, in Woolbrook Road, following a brief closure in September that sparked speculation over the future of the local.
Having worked around the clock to have the pub ready for the carnival weekend, new landlords Ron and Angi Miles told the Herald they have big plans for the business.
The couple also run the Lamb and Flag in Ottery St Mary, which they transformed into a thriving pub, and Ron (pictured) said he feels excited to have the chance to breathe new life into The Balfour. He said: “It’s got a new energy to it. It’s all been very positive so far and people are just happy it’s up and running again.
“I want people to treat it as their pub. We plan to resurrect regular events, such as the quiz on Tuesdays and Sundays and live music nights.”
You may also want to watch:
He admitted he had his eye on the business for a while and when he found out during a pool match that The Balfour’s former leaseholder was looking to leave, he immediately registered his interest.
Experienced chef Angi has been working on a new menu, in conjunction with owner Punch Taverns, which will be available to customers in a couple of weeks when the kitchen has been refurbished.
- 1 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 2 Community rally around pensioner in hour of need
- 3 Date announced for unveiling of Ottery's Coleridge statue
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 Sidmouth woman's legal challenge over care home Covid deaths begins at High Court
- 8 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 9 Property of the Week: Fortescue Road, Sidmouth
- 10 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
The entire premises is set to undergo a full makeover and Ron hopes to do this bit by bit to save the pub having to close.
In the meantime, there will be music, Hallowe’en events, quiz nights and Christmas bookings to be taken.