Big win in L-Ottery St Mary!
- Credit: Archant
A retired newlywed couple from Ottery are celebrating after becoming millionaires.
Rodney Hancock, 64, and his wife Vanessa, 60, bagged their six-figure prize in a EuroMillions draw on August 26.
The couple recently claimed their £1million winnings from Lottery organisers Camelot and have just embarked on the holiday of a lifetime - travelling around the UK and Europe in their motorhome.
Rodney, who is originally from Plymouth, said: “I got a notification on my phone to tell me I’d won, but assumed it was one of the smaller amounts.
“It was only two or three hours later when I checked on the computer and found out how much it was!
You may also want to watch:
I was in shock and didn’t quite believe it until I phoned The National Lottery and they confirmed it.
As well as clearing a few debts, ex-nurse Vanessa and retired van driver Rodney also spent some of their winnings on a brand new BMW convertible.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 3 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 6 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 9 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 10 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
Rodney added that he has played the EuroMillions since it began, and plans to continue playing despite his win.