Big win in L-Ottery St Mary!
- Credit: Archant
A retired newlywed couple from Ottery are celebrating after becoming millionaires.
Rodney Hancock, 64, and his wife Vanessa, 60, bagged their six-figure prize in a EuroMillions draw on August 26.
The couple recently claimed their £1million winnings from Lottery organisers Camelot and have just embarked on the holiday of a lifetime - travelling around the UK and Europe in their motorhome.
Rodney, who is originally from Plymouth, said: “I got a notification on my phone to tell me I’d won, but assumed it was one of the smaller amounts.
“It was only two or three hours later when I checked on the computer and found out how much it was!
You may also want to watch:
I was in shock and didn’t quite believe it until I phoned The National Lottery and they confirmed it.
As well as clearing a few debts, ex-nurse Vanessa and retired van driver Rodney also spent some of their winnings on a brand new BMW convertible.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 6 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 7 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 High scoring in the Sidmouth Stablefords
- 10 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
Rodney added that he has played the EuroMillions since it began, and plans to continue playing despite his win.