Birthday bouquet for former county show steward
- Credit: Archant
A former resident of Ottery who was a long-time steward at the Devon County Show has celebrated her 90th birthday – with a bouquet from the show’s current organisers.
Joan Mitchell held the role of Crafts and Gardens steward for 36 years when the event was based at the Whipton showground in Exeter.
She relocated to Taunton in 1994, but has not been forgotten by her former colleagues.
Competitions and features co-ordinator Lisa Moore said: “Joan was a fantastic steward and a joy to work with.
“What we remember in particular were her famous drapes which she provided to adorn the tables in the marquee. These were used for many decades and long after Joan departed. In fact, they were only very recently retired in 2018.”
You may also want to watch:
Joan was presented with a birthday bouquet of 90 stems by the current chief steward Deborah Custance-Baker.
The arrangement was created by Wendy Frost, a successful competitor in the show’s floral art contests during Joan’s time, who now makes the floral decorations in the President’s Marquee.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 10 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project