Birthday bouquet for former county show steward
- Credit: Archant
A former resident of Ottery who was a long-time steward at the Devon County Show has celebrated her 90th birthday – with a bouquet from the show’s current organisers.
Joan Mitchell held the role of Crafts and Gardens steward for 36 years when the event was based at the Whipton showground in Exeter.
She relocated to Taunton in 1994, but has not been forgotten by her former colleagues.
Competitions and features co-ordinator Lisa Moore said: “Joan was a fantastic steward and a joy to work with.
“What we remember in particular were her famous drapes which she provided to adorn the tables in the marquee. These were used for many decades and long after Joan departed. In fact, they were only very recently retired in 2018.”
You may also want to watch:
Joan was presented with a birthday bouquet of 90 stems by the current chief steward Deborah Custance-Baker.
The arrangement was created by Wendy Frost, a successful competitor in the show’s floral art contests during Joan’s time, who now makes the floral decorations in the President’s Marquee.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution