Bishop does walkabout in Sidmouth town centre
- Credit: Archant
The Bishop of Exeter went for a walkabout in Sidmouth as part of a worldwide initiative promoting prayer in the leadup to Whitsun.
He joined an ecumenical team in the town for a cream tea at the Sailing Club before walking to the Market Square where he posed for ‘selfies’ in a frame with passers-by.
The Rt Rev Robert Atwell said: “I’m absolutely loving it. This way I’m getting to see the inside of the town, hearing people’s concerns, their hopes but also their fears.”
The day started at St Francis Church with Sidmouth Primary School children. . The Bishop also met representatives from voluntary organisations.
The event was part of a global prayer initiative called ‘Thy Kingdom Come’.
You may also want to watch:
Naomi Hogg, Catholic Church pastoral assistant in Sidmouth, said: “Together we’re praying that ‘thy kingdom will come on earth’.
“The church isn’t in a building and this is what this is all about, showing the kingdom of God out on the streets.”
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 3 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 4 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 5 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 6 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 7 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 8 The more we work together the better it will be
- 9 I want seafront cafe and restaurant to be something Exmouth can be proud of
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC