Bishops travel 10,000 miles to Ottery St Mary for rededication of cross
- Credit: Archant
Young and old gathered for the rededication of Patteson’s Cross.
Special guests included the Right Reverend Leonard Dawea, Bishop of the Diocese of Temotu, the Right Reverend Ellison Quity, Bishop of the Diocese of Ysabel in the Solomon Islands, and Lord William Coleridge, a distant relative of Bishop John Coleridge Patteson.
Bishop Leonard said: “It is a great honour to be here in Devon today for the rededication of the memorial to Bishop John Coleridge Patteson, the first Anglican Bishop of Melanesia.
“Bishop Patteson is very important to the people of Melanesia, and we give thanks for his ministry and for bringing the people of Devon and the people of Melanesia closer together.”
The landmark was rededicated by the Anglican bishops, who travelled more than 10,000 miles to pay their respects.
You may also want to watch:
Refurbishment of the monument was completed in Septemebr 2016, with a fundraising campaign netting £5,000.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 4 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 5 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight