Blaze guts school bus by Beer junction
- Credit: Archant
A blaze that gutted a school coach on the A3052’s junction to Beer has been described by one eyewitness as ‘horrific’.
The vehicle had picked up students from Axminster but had dropped off the last one in Seaton when the fire broke out.
Motorist Tanya Newbury was on the Beer bend behind two cars when she first saw the flames as ‘high as the fir trees’ licking from the burning vehicle.
“It was horrific,” she said. “The flames had totally engulfed it.
“My instant thought was ‘is there any one in it?’ I was going to rush over and then I saw the fire brigade had turned up.
You may also want to watch:
“I was just in pure shock. All I could keep thinking was ‘is there anyone in there and how I can help?’ It was terrifying. There were just huge flames pouring out of the windows, they were high as the fir trees.”
Raymond Borkowski, whose Honiton-based company Alpha Coaches owned the 49-seater vehicle, was called to the scene and said: “The crews were here straight away but once the fire took hold there was nothing they could do.”
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Thousands of washed up fish provide easy pickings for fishermen and gulls
- 3 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 6 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 7 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 8 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
He said the driver was the only person on board and left the coach unharmed when the blaze broke out.
A police spokesperson said the blaze ‘melted the road’ and confirmed that the driver was safe. The A3052 was closed between Hangman’s Stone and Seaton Down Hill, with motorists being diverted through Beer.
One fire appliance from Seaton and another from Sidmouth were mobilised to the incident.
On arrival crews found the coach well alight and got to work with breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets. A third fire appliance was requested for water, which also came from Sidmouth.
Crews got to work with four breathing apparatus wearers and two hose reel jets.
A fire service spokesman said: “The coach was severely damaged by fire and the cause of the fire was accidental.”