Blind Devon veteran set to trek 100km for cause that helped him
- Credit: Archant
John Evans has been training in Escot Park for upcoming charity mission
A blind veteran is set to embark on a 100km, 24-hour walking challenge for the charity that helped him regain his independence.
John Evans’ career as an aircraft engineer came to an abrupt end when, at the age of 45, he was diagnosed with a degenerative condition that will render him completely unable to see.
Currently, the 61-year-old Talaton resident has just two per cent sight, but he is not letting that stop him taking on the trek from London to Brighton this weekend to raise funds for Blind Veterans UK - a charity he says has provided ‘invaluable’ help and support.
Last year, John completed a 50km challenge but - with the help of guide and friend Simon Hebson - has pledged to double his distance tomorrow (July 2) and has been training for the event around Ottery and Escot Park.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I started to lose my sight in 1999. I know that the help I received from Blind Veterans UK has been invaluable and with help through fundraising, its work can carry on.”
Simon, an army recruitment team leader from Exmouth, has persuaded 10 of his friends and colleagues to join the walk, along with the hundreds expected to join from across the country.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Blind Veterans UK supports more than 4,000 blind and visually impaired former service personnel.
Visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/JohnEvans100k to donate.