Body found in river at Newton Poppleford
- Credit: Archant
The body of a man has been found in the river at Newton Poppleford.
Emergency services were called by a member of the public who reported she saw a body in the water while walking over a footbridge near Back Lane at about 3.20pm on Tuesday (December 11).
Police officers have now confirmed that a man’s body has been found by search and rescue teams.
Sergeant Andy Squires said:: “A body has been found and inquires will now commence into who it is and next of kin will be informed.”
A Harpford residents said: “My wife was walking over the footbridge to the Post Office going from Harpford towards Back Lane in Newton Poppleford. She said she saw a man’s body in the water but she couldn’t be sure if he was alive or not.
You may also want to watch:
“She was very shocked and she went and knocked door so she could report it as soon as possible.”
An air ambulance has been spotted on the scene along with police officers, Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service and South Western Ambulance Serve who are all helping to undertake a search of the area.
- 1 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 2 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 3 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Ottery retirement community with Easter thank you for keyworkers
- 8 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 9 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 10 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
Eye witnesses have reported spotted emergency services on the scene in a boat and two helicopters.
A South Western Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called at just after 3.30pm and have sent an two ambulance cars, the HART team, the air ambulance and Operation Officers to the scene.”
Read our previous story Body reportedly spotted in river at Newton Poppleford here.