Bogus caller alert in Sidmouth
Police across Devon and Cornwall are keen to warn local residents to be vigilant of bogus callers, attempting to gain entry to properties claiming to be workmen.
There have been a number of incidents this morning, Thursday 10 May 2012, in Plymouth, Bodmin and Sidmouth – possibly others – where two men have called at a residential property claiming to be from the water board and need to enter the property to check for contaminated water.
One man is keeping the resident busy while another is searching for cash and valuables elsewhere in the property.
Police advice to residents is to deny entry to anyone into your home unless you know who they are. If callers are genuine they will have official identification or they will return another time when a friend or family member is present.
Police spokesperson said: “If anyone is concerned that a caller is not genuine they should close the door and call the police. Ask to see identification and if they still are not sure, genuine callers will not object to you calling their organisation to verify their identity. When doing this, make them wait outside and keep the door closed.
You may also want to watch:
“These bogus callers pray on the vulnerable – we want to catch these men and see that they’re brought to justice. We’re asking the public to keep an eye out and report anything suspicious to us immediately.”
Any witnesses or people with information are asked to call 101 and provide useful details such as their direction of travel or any vehicle registration numbers.
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 4 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 5 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 6 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 7 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 8 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future