Bond of love! Engaged couple in 00-heaven
Andy’s top-secret mission to pop question to spy-fan Lisa from big screen
A LOVESTRUCK couple were in 00-heaven when a man’s top-secret mission to propose to his Bond-fan belle was accomplished with a ‘yes’ in front of a packed cinema.
Andy Downham organised a red carpet premiere of the MI6 agent’s latest outing Skyfall to boost Sidmouth Lifeboat - then popped the question to shocked partner Lisa from the big screen.
Andy, 50, had kept the plot under wraps for months and asked for her hand in marriage dressed in a tuxedo just like the suave spy.
A full auditorium at the Radway cheered and clapped as Lisa, 46, accepted and the couple, of Cotmaton Road, embraced.
You may also want to watch:
“We were in each other’s arms and there was a big round of applause – it was a very special moment,” said Andy.
“I wasn’t too nervous apart from the fact I was in front of 280 people!
- 1 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 2 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 9 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 10 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
“Lisa loves James Bond and has got all the films – I just couldn’t resist the opportunity.
“I’d been thinking about proposing for a while and thought ‘why not do it in style’.
“We’d been looking forward to the new Bond film coming out. I’d considered trying to go to the premiere in London but we couldn’t, so I thought ‘let’s do it here’.”
Andy, who is operations manager of Sidmouth Lifeboat, concocted an elaborate effort that saw him record a message about the independent service that was shown before the film began – only he’d planned for a surprise ending.
His big-screen incarnation proposed to Lisa as Andy, in person, bent down on one knee in front of her.
“I was flabbergasted,” said Lisa. “It was so overwhelming and emotional.
“In terms of romantic gestures, it’s right at the very top – I’ve never experienced anything like it.
“I really like James Bond so it was an amazingly special moment.”
A spokesperson for Bond himself, Daniel Craig, wished the couple all the best.
The night proved to be a double delight for Andy as the premiere netted nearly �1,000 for the lifeboat (see page 15).
He thanked friend Bill Lankester and management at the Radway, who were the only people who knew about his plan to propose.