Book and CD to mark Sidmouth Town Band’s 150 years
SIDMOUTH Town Band will celebrate 150 years of music in 2012 by launching a book and CD.
The book, Sidmouth Town Band: Celebrating 150 years, has taken years of painstaking research by members.
It documents the initial formation of the group in 1862 to their more recent rise to being considered one of the most entertaining bands in the South West.
A new CD album, titled Heritage, contains popular music from the band’s repertoire.
Both book and album are due for release during a summer season of concerts.
You may also want to watch:
The popular band has been given a �2,000 helping hand towards the projects from county councillor Stuart Hughes’ locality budget.
The year has got off to a good start for the ensemble after musicians landed fourth place in the West of England Brass Band Championships - straight after their promotion to the second section of the brass banding world.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 4 Legion's centenary plea for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal volunteers
- 5 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 6 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 7 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 8 Concerns raised over surge in number of unpaid carers
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 Businesses should be stocking up now for Folk Festival
The next chance to hear the band play will be at the Good Friday Hot Cross Bun distribution this morning (Friday).
They will take part in the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations street party on June 3. A series of summer concerts will follow from June 10 to September 2.
A traditional Last Night of the Proms will have a special 150th anniversary feel to it in August.
Celebrations will be rounded off with a gala concert on October 20 at the Manor Pavilion where players and conductors, past and present, will be invited.