Bookie slashes odds for ‘lively outsider’ Wright
- Credit: Archant
A major bookmaker has backed an independent East Devon councillor to fare better than the Liberal Democrats and Labour in next May’s general election.
Bookies at Ladbrokes have halved their odds for Claire Wright from 66/1 to 33/1 following a ‘string of bets’ for the independent candidate.
East Devon’s incumbent Conservative MP, Hugo Swire, is firm favourite to defend a 9,000 vote majority and retain his seat with odds of 1/16.
UKIP are predicted to be runners-up at a price of 8/1.
The Liberal Democrats are rated behind Cllr Wright at 50/1, with punters offered 100/1 for a Labour win.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Shaddick, head of political odds at Ladbrokes, said: “History tells us that independent candidates very rarely get anywhere near winning at a general election, but money talks and Wright is emerging as a very lively outsider.”
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Sporting tribute to club stalwart from grateful members
- 4 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 5 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 6 Alderman honour for councillor devoted to serving community
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 'More visible' speed limit signs to be installed on A375 Sidbury Hill
- 9 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 10 After shopping in town why not give your feet a treat