Bookie slashes odds for ‘lively outsider’ Wright
- Credit: Archant
A major bookmaker has backed an independent East Devon councillor to fare better than the Liberal Democrats and Labour in next May’s general election.
Bookies at Ladbrokes have halved their odds for Claire Wright from 66/1 to 33/1 following a ‘string of bets’ for the independent candidate.
East Devon’s incumbent Conservative MP, Hugo Swire, is firm favourite to defend a 9,000 vote majority and retain his seat with odds of 1/16.
UKIP are predicted to be runners-up at a price of 8/1.
The Liberal Democrats are rated behind Cllr Wright at 50/1, with punters offered 100/1 for a Labour win.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Shaddick, head of political odds at Ladbrokes, said: “History tells us that independent candidates very rarely get anywhere near winning at a general election, but money talks and Wright is emerging as a very lively outsider.”
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 8 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight