Bowd land IS gypsy home target
LAND at the Bowd on 'the gateway to Sidmouth' HAS been targeted to home travellers and gypsies- and its owner has expressed a positive interest in the prospect.
LAND at the Bowd on "The gateway to Sidmouth" HAS been targeted to home travellers and gypsies- and its owner has "expressed a positive interest" in the prospect.
The Government has ordered East Devon District Council (EDDC) to find an additional nine pitches by 2011 and the Herald reported last month how land off the A3052 is one of four sites in the region that was earmarked to fulfil the quota.
EDDC planners discussed the matter in private this week and a spokesman said:
"Land owners of identified sites were contacted to seek their views on the potential use of their land. One land owner, in respect of land at the Bowd in Sidmouth, expressed a positive interest in making his site available for future use by gypsies and/or travellers."
You may also want to watch:
Development control committee members agreed on Tuesday that the council "should" now embark a full public consultation exercise on this specific site.
Members also agreed to:
- 1 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 2 Test star celebrates Sidbury promotion season
- 3 Storms and stormy weather... past, present, and future
- 4 Dan's retail vision provides timely food for thought
- 5 Sidmouth woman's legal hearing over Covid deaths in care homes adjourned
- 6 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 7 'Dream team' shed more light on plans for Connaught's Christmas illuminations
- 8 Ideas invited for new use of former Sidmouth utility building
- 9 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 10 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- invite the public, land owners and any other interested parties to suggest potential sites, and:
- continue discussions with land-owners of potential sites; and:
- hold further discussions with the County Gypsy Liaison Officer and gypsies and - travellers themselves on gypsy and traveller needs and sites; the joint think tank meeting again to consider any additional sites that might be suitable.