Bowd land IS gypsy home target
LAND at the Bowd on 'the gateway to Sidmouth' HAS been targeted to home travellers and gypsies- and its owner has expressed a positive interest in the prospect.
LAND at the Bowd on "The gateway to Sidmouth" HAS been targeted to home travellers and gypsies- and its owner has "expressed a positive interest" in the prospect.
The Government has ordered East Devon District Council (EDDC) to find an additional nine pitches by 2011 and the Herald reported last month how land off the A3052 is one of four sites in the region that was earmarked to fulfil the quota.
EDDC planners discussed the matter in private this week and a spokesman said:
"Land owners of identified sites were contacted to seek their views on the potential use of their land. One land owner, in respect of land at the Bowd in Sidmouth, expressed a positive interest in making his site available for future use by gypsies and/or travellers."
You may also want to watch:
Development control committee members agreed on Tuesday that the council "should" now embark a full public consultation exercise on this specific site.
Members also agreed to:
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- invite the public, land owners and any other interested parties to suggest potential sites, and:
- continue discussions with land-owners of potential sites; and:
- hold further discussions with the County Gypsy Liaison Officer and gypsies and - travellers themselves on gypsy and traveller needs and sites; the joint think tank meeting again to consider any additional sites that might be suitable.