Branscombe jackets raise funds
A FASHION show of ‘just jackets’ at Branscombe Village Hall raised �1,900.
The sell-out event in aid of Sidmouth Hospice and the Devon Air Ambulance involved a lunch of designer jacket potatoes, during which models moved around the tables, sporting jackets for sale.
Julia Cowell created the menu, including the Matalan (butter, salt and pepper) and the Vivienne Westwood (chilli con carne, soured cream, cheese and tortilla chips).
The 150 jackets which had been donated to the sale ranged from Sandwich to Country Casuals. Sixty per cent of those modelled, and 55 per cent of those on the rack, were sold, the unsold ones will go to charity.
Organiser Kate Norbury said the principles behind the event were recycling and modest pricing.
“I’ve always believed in recycling,” she told the 64 guests.
The prize draw raised �150 and was supported by Sidmouth traders, Delderfields, The Original Factory Shop, Beauty Within, Eight’s a Wish and Woodforde’s perfumery.
- 1 Air ambulance attends beach fall incident in Sidmouth
- 2 It's all power to the pedestrian... and we must embrace change
- 3 Property of the Week: The Square, Branscombe
- 4 Ottery woman's home 'cuckooed' by County Lines drug gang
- 5 Major firefighting operation tackles blazing barn in Whimple
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in Devon?
- 7 Top six big books of the year to enjoy this winter
- 8 How Devon's current Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Tips on managing your utility bills this winter
- 10 Programme of concerts set to delight classical-music lovers
The shows began a few years ago, initially to raise funds for the hall’s refurbishment. Last year’s was held at Edge Barton Manor while work was done on the hall, and raised �1,000 each for Sidmouth Hospice and Honeylands Children’s Centre, Exeter.
Yvonne Franks and Sylvie Pickering from Sidmouth attended last week’s show, billed as Kate and team’s sixth and last.
Yvonne said: “We’re really impressed with the lovely clothes and the beautiful lunch.”
Model Amanda Statham said: “It’s good fun, Kate’s a really organised and lively woman and it’s great to get involved.”