Branscombe jackets raise funds
A FASHION show of ‘just jackets’ at Branscombe Village Hall raised �1,900.
The sell-out event in aid of Sidmouth Hospice and the Devon Air Ambulance involved a lunch of designer jacket potatoes, during which models moved around the tables, sporting jackets for sale.
Julia Cowell created the menu, including the Matalan (butter, salt and pepper) and the Vivienne Westwood (chilli con carne, soured cream, cheese and tortilla chips).
The 150 jackets which had been donated to the sale ranged from Sandwich to Country Casuals. Sixty per cent of those modelled, and 55 per cent of those on the rack, were sold, the unsold ones will go to charity.
Organiser Kate Norbury said the principles behind the event were recycling and modest pricing.
“I’ve always believed in recycling,” she told the 64 guests.
The prize draw raised �150 and was supported by Sidmouth traders, Delderfields, The Original Factory Shop, Beauty Within, Eight’s a Wish and Woodforde’s perfumery.
- 1 Despite the recent heatwave, Devon County Council is on course to beat climate change targets
- 2 Opening a new shop presents a risk, but rewards are there if you work hard
- 3 Man in court accused of torching Ottery woman's car
- 4 Feezing license fee is sensible, but I didn't stand for dismantling BBC
- 5 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 6 Preparations begin in earnest for Folk Festival
- 7 With your help, a range of new laws will help us all
- 8 Play abour real life leaves audience filled with feel good laughter
- 9 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 10 Heather Spratt - the unsung hero of the heathland
The shows began a few years ago, initially to raise funds for the hall’s refurbishment. Last year’s was held at Edge Barton Manor while work was done on the hall, and raised �1,000 each for Sidmouth Hospice and Honeylands Children’s Centre, Exeter.
Yvonne Franks and Sylvie Pickering from Sidmouth attended last week’s show, billed as Kate and team’s sixth and last.
Yvonne said: “We’re really impressed with the lovely clothes and the beautiful lunch.”
Model Amanda Statham said: “It’s good fun, Kate’s a really organised and lively woman and it’s great to get involved.”