Branscombe WI saved
BRANSCOMBE WI has been saved at the 11th hour.
Members attended what they thought would be their final meeting last month. November is the annual meeting, at which the current committee stands down and a new one is elected. Up until the meeting, the branch didn’t have a treasurer.
Janet Sindle, who held the post on and off for 30 years, had given notice earlier in the year that she wanted to step down. As treasurer for two other organisations, something had to give.
“I needed some time of my own, rather than always doing something for someone else,” she said.
The WI county adviser was at the meeting to discuss winding the group up.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone assumed it was a done deal that we’d close, as you can’t carry on without a treasurer,” said branch president Sandi Clark.
But then, Linda Hughes stepped up. “I had given it some thought, and when I went to the meeting and saw all those worried faces, I put myself forward,” she said.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 3 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 4 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 5 Sidmouth seniors back in competitive action
- 6 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 8 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 9 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Linda’s mother-in-law Edith Hughes was once branch president. “I thought I’d do it for her and the group,” said Linda. As treasurer for Branscombe Players, she has a head for figures. “I hope the branch will now go from strength to strength, we can’t let these community groups fall away,” she said.
Janet will still look after the group’s annual accounts.
The group, which meets on the second Tuesday of the month at Branscombe Village Hall is now looking forward to tommorrow’a village Christmas fair and its programme of events for 2011. For further details call Sandi on (01297) 680106.