BREAKING: Arrest following Ottery assault
A 30-year-old man has been arrested following an assault in the Ottery area after a search by the police helicopter.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed officers were called to an address in Talaton around 8am this morning to reports a 30-year-old woman had been assaulted by a man.
They began a search for the male suspect, who was known to the victim, and the police helicopter was dispatched to aid in the search for a black Volkswagen Golf.
The spokesman said the vehicle was spotted by an unmarked police vehicle on the A35 at around 10am, and the helicopter crew tracked the car from a distance.
He added: “It directed marked units on the ground to its position before the suspect’s vehicle was safely stopped on the A30 near to Ide around 15 minutes later.”
You may also want to watch:
The driver, a 30-year-old male, was then arrested and taken to Heavitree Road Police Station where he remains.
The victim has been taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital for treatment to minor injuries.
- 1 New owner sought for prominent Sidmouth seafront businesses
- 2 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 3 Three designer handbags stolen from a shop in Sidmouth
- 4 Woman flown to hospital after fall
- 5 Organisers thrilled with super science festival turnout
- 6 GP teams have seen 14% increase on pre-pandemic levels
- 7 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 8 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 9 Major road repair scheme will reduce patching
- 10 Pianist set to delight audiences in 50th anniversary season
Police confirmed their enquiries are ongoing.