BREAKING: Knowle plans rejected
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Plans to redevelop Knowle and build 50 houses and a care home at the district council’s headquarters have been sensationally rejected.
Protesters swarmed the chamber this afternoon to voice their anger at the scheme, which they said would ‘desecrate’ Sidmouth parkland.
But the application was recommended for approval ahead of a special planning meeting at Knowle, and was expected to go through.
However after legal advice several councillors were unable to vote on the plans, and in their absence the remaining members of the committee voted to reject the proposals.
The decision marks an extraordinary defeat for East Devon District Council’s leadership, and will be a hammer blow to its plans to relocate to Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
But on the other hand the realisation plans to build on parkland in Sidmouth had been scuppered were met with cheers from campaigners in the public gallery.
Follow the Herald on twitter @sidmouthherald and the website for updates and reaction.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 4 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 5 Virtual donkey day out on Easter Sunday
- 6 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 7 Ella's walks raise more than £3,000 for brain tumour research
- 8 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 9 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 10 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead