BREAKING: Knowle plans rejected
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Plans to redevelop Knowle and build 50 houses and a care home at the district council’s headquarters have been sensationally rejected.
Protesters swarmed the chamber this afternoon to voice their anger at the scheme, which they said would ‘desecrate’ Sidmouth parkland.
But the application was recommended for approval ahead of a special planning meeting at Knowle, and was expected to go through.
However after legal advice several councillors were unable to vote on the plans, and in their absence the remaining members of the committee voted to reject the proposals.
The decision marks an extraordinary defeat for East Devon District Council’s leadership, and will be a hammer blow to its plans to relocate to Honiton.
You may also want to watch:
But on the other hand the realisation plans to build on parkland in Sidmouth had been scuppered were met with cheers from campaigners in the public gallery.
Follow the Herald on twitter @sidmouthherald and the website for updates and reaction.
- 1 New £14m Sidmouth Beach Management Plan takes major step forward
- 2 Immigration suspect arrested after fire in empty Sidmouth shop
- 3 Sidmouth's 'fantastic' new amphitheatre 'an asset to the town'
- 4 Flood project construction vehicles end up in deep water
- 5 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 6 ‘Can we fix it? Yes we can!’ Sidmouth Repair Cafe seeks new team members
- 7 Book your tickets for wine tasting in Sidmouth
- 8 Concerns expressed over latest plans for Sidford Business Park
- 9 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 10 Sidmouth undone by powerful St Austell performance