BREAKING NEWS: East Devon head to contest last election as leader
THE HEAD of East Devon District Council has announced that the 2011 local elections will be the last she will contest as Conservative leader.
Cllr Sara Randall Johnson announced today: “The local elections on May 5 next year will be the third and last that I shall fight as Leader.
She added: “Local councils face enormous challenges as a result of Labour’s reckless over-spending and any local council leader going into an election requires a clear and detailed view of the way forward to ensure delivery of front-line services in these volatile times. “Contesting and winning an election in these difficult circumstances calls for a combination of experience, resolve and the capacity to formulate a clear plan of action, stay focused and see it through to delivery.
“I intend to take EDDC through into the next council session, after which I propose to step down.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Leader of EDDC and it has been a tremendous privilege to serve the people of East Devon over the past ten years.”
You may also want to watch:
For a full story, read this Friday’s Sidmouth Herald and the Midweek Herald on Wednesday.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 3 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 6 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 9 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal