BREAKING NEWS: East Devon head to contest last election as leader
THE HEAD of East Devon District Council has announced that the 2011 local elections will be the last she will contest as Conservative leader.
Cllr Sara Randall Johnson announced today: “The local elections on May 5 next year will be the third and last that I shall fight as Leader.
She added: “Local councils face enormous challenges as a result of Labour’s reckless over-spending and any local council leader going into an election requires a clear and detailed view of the way forward to ensure delivery of front-line services in these volatile times. “Contesting and winning an election in these difficult circumstances calls for a combination of experience, resolve and the capacity to formulate a clear plan of action, stay focused and see it through to delivery.
“I intend to take EDDC through into the next council session, after which I propose to step down.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Leader of EDDC and it has been a tremendous privilege to serve the people of East Devon over the past ten years.”
You may also want to watch:
For a full story, read this Friday’s Sidmouth Herald and the Midweek Herald on Wednesday.
- 1 Is the River Sid the shortest river in England?
- 2 Bear Grylls praises town's eco-friendly scout 'ambassador'
- 3 Toto has a mosey around gardens and makes a discovery
- 4 'Fabulous' food festival attracts thousands
- 5 Four unexpected kings of England named William
- 6 A rare sight witnessed at town's rugby club
- 7 Could building above car parks help solve housing issue?
- 8 Sidmouth drug dealer spared immediate jail sentence
- 9 Inside story on pub kitchens provides food for thought
- 10 Illuminations by the sea start Christmas in Sidmouth