BREAKING NEWS: East Devon head to contest last election as leader
THE HEAD of East Devon District Council has announced that the 2011 local elections will be the last she will contest as Conservative leader.
Cllr Sara Randall Johnson announced today: “The local elections on May 5 next year will be the third and last that I shall fight as Leader.
She added: “Local councils face enormous challenges as a result of Labour’s reckless over-spending and any local council leader going into an election requires a clear and detailed view of the way forward to ensure delivery of front-line services in these volatile times. “Contesting and winning an election in these difficult circumstances calls for a combination of experience, resolve and the capacity to formulate a clear plan of action, stay focused and see it through to delivery.
“I intend to take EDDC through into the next council session, after which I propose to step down.
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Leader of EDDC and it has been a tremendous privilege to serve the people of East Devon over the past ten years.”
You may also want to watch:
For a full story, read this Friday’s Sidmouth Herald and the Midweek Herald on Wednesday.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98