Burglars target Sidmouth seafront businesses
- Credit: Archant
Charity collection tins and games machines were targeted when burglars broke into businesses on Sidmouth seafront on Friday (November 17).
The Mocha was hit for the second time in just over two months but security had been tightened after criminals stole the safe in September.
Staff member Sarah Price said whoever broke in last week forced the till open but found it empty, and took most of the contents from a Poppy Appeal tin – but left £10 behind.
She said the criminal broke in through a window, adding: “We’re in the process of upping our security.”
Entry was forced into the Pea Green Boat and around £50 was stolen.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Borrett, who owns the Marine with husband Phil, said: “They did all the games machines and the charity boxes. They also took a few bottles of spirits but we don’t keep any cash down here.
“The fruit machine, pinball machine and the pool table were all smashed in when we came down. There wouldn’t have been a lot of money in them.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon & Exeter League Results
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
“We live upstairs and didn’t hear anything. The dog didn’t flinch. It’s really bad – I can’t get my head around it. I was just in shock. This is the first crime we’ve experienced of this kind. We don’t know how they got in, we’re baffled.”
A police spokesman said the incident at the Marine happened between 1.30am and 8.45am Friday, November 17. Anyone with information is asked to call the police on 101 and quote crime reference CR/100095/17.
The Pea Green Boat was targeted between 8pm on Thursday and 7am on Friday. Crime reference CR/100069/17.
The Mocha was targeted between 6pm on Thursday and 8am on Friday. Crime reference CR/100096/17.