Bus company apologises after driver error
A BUS company has apologised after one of its drivers told a Sidmouth woman her concessionary bus pass was invalid. Winifred Risley, 81, was told by a Stagecoach South West driver on Monday that her pass was only valid after 9.30am on weekdays, not 9am, a
A BUS company has apologised after one of its drivers told a Sidmouth woman her concessionary bus pass was invalid.
Winifred Risley, 81, was told by a Stagecoach South West driver on Monday that her pass was only valid after 9.30am on weekdays, not 9am, and she would have to pay �1.20 to travel from the Jet Garage to All Saints Road in Sidmouth.
A bewildered Mrs Risley explained to the driver that in East Devon concessionary bus passes are valid from 9am.
She said: "I told him I was using the pass at 9am last week but he said I couldn't use it. Eventually he let me get on for free."
You may also want to watch:
Concessionary bus passes have been valid from 9am on weekdays in East Devon since April 2008.
East Devon District Council altered the time from 9.30am after members of the public complained it was not early enough.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 3 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 4 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 5 Legion's centenary plea for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal volunteers
- 6 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 7 Businesses should be stocking up now for Folk Festival
- 8 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 9 Concerns raised over surge in number of unpaid carers
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
An EDDC spokesperson said there were no plans to change this and the incident was 'isolated'.
She added: "Bus drivers from outside the area do not always know concessionary passes can be used from 9am in East Devon."
A spokesperson for Stagecoach South West, said: "I am sorry to hear incorrect information has been provided to this passenger and for any inconvenience this may have caused.
"All of our drivers were provided with details of the concessionary bus pass scheme and the areas of validity in the various local authority areas.
"We will ensure a reminder is issued to prevent this from happening again.