Businesses hope to create ‘buy local’ buzz in Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Plenty on offer for shoppers to celebrate ‘Independents Day’
Ottery business owners and traders are hoping to create a buzz around town with an exciting new initiative to reward shoppers for buying local.
The chamber of commerce is launching the scheme to tie in with the national ‘Independents Day’, but going one better by working collectively to encourage people into the town with promotions, offers and events.
From Friday, July 1, to Monday, July 4, shoppers can reap the rewards of visiting local shops and businesses, rather than resorting to high street chains and online purchases.
Chair of the chamber of commerce, Viv Abbott, said: “We are really trying to showcase what Ottery has to offer.
“You don’t need the hassle, time and expense of travelling into Exeter, when you can get most things right here on your doorstep.
“Hopefully, there will be a good buzz around the town over the weekend.”
- 1 Stop and search is having an impact on crime
- 2 WWII veteran David celebrates 100th birthday with family and friends
- 3 Flooded residents deserve compensation, not just an apology
- 4 Ottery St Mary rings in the festivities
- 5 Sidmouth to get state of the art hearing treatment
- 6 Sidmouth lights up for Christmas
- 7 Sid Valley Food Bank Christmas hamper appeal gets under way
- 8 Yellow warning of strong winds issued for this Saturday
- 9 Tory attempt to bring in council crime checks is rejected
- 10 Successful return for Sidmouth Repair Cafe
An ‘Ottery Loyalty Card’ will be available and anyone who gets three stamps from different businesses will go into a draw to win an ‘Ottery Gift Box’.
Prizes donated by the town’s businesses include a cream tea for two, an MOT, gift vouchers and much more.
Abbotts DIY, of Jesu Street, will welcome the famed dog from the TV Dulux adverts as a celebrity guest for the day and people can pop in to have their picture taken with him.