Businesses hope to create ‘buy local’ buzz in Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Plenty on offer for shoppers to celebrate ‘Independents Day’
Ottery business owners and traders are hoping to create a buzz around town with an exciting new initiative to reward shoppers for buying local.
The chamber of commerce is launching the scheme to tie in with the national ‘Independents Day’, but going one better by working collectively to encourage people into the town with promotions, offers and events.
From Friday, July 1, to Monday, July 4, shoppers can reap the rewards of visiting local shops and businesses, rather than resorting to high street chains and online purchases.
Chair of the chamber of commerce, Viv Abbott, said: “We are really trying to showcase what Ottery has to offer.
You may also want to watch:
“You don’t need the hassle, time and expense of travelling into Exeter, when you can get most things right here on your doorstep.
“Hopefully, there will be a good buzz around the town over the weekend.”
- 1 August celebrations at Manstone Lane – Home of the Vikings
- 2 Urgent action sought to improve Four Elms Hill road safety
- 3 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 4 Church hosts first wedding since before lockdown
- 5 Property of the Week: Wolversleigh Farm
- 6 Lifeguards report for duty as new service launches
- 7 Return to online meetings thanks to progressive alliance
- 8 Artists given a masterclass in watercolour painting
- 9 Village summer fair returns to support local charities
- 10 Read all about it! Teresa scoops national award
An ‘Ottery Loyalty Card’ will be available and anyone who gets three stamps from different businesses will go into a draw to win an ‘Ottery Gift Box’.
Prizes donated by the town’s businesses include a cream tea for two, an MOT, gift vouchers and much more.
Abbotts DIY, of Jesu Street, will welcome the famed dog from the TV Dulux adverts as a celebrity guest for the day and people can pop in to have their picture taken with him.