Businesses hope to create ‘buy local’ buzz in Ottery St Mary
- Credit: Archant
Plenty on offer for shoppers to celebrate ‘Independents Day’
Ottery business owners and traders are hoping to create a buzz around town with an exciting new initiative to reward shoppers for buying local.
The chamber of commerce is launching the scheme to tie in with the national ‘Independents Day’, but going one better by working collectively to encourage people into the town with promotions, offers and events.
From Friday, July 1, to Monday, July 4, shoppers can reap the rewards of visiting local shops and businesses, rather than resorting to high street chains and online purchases.
Chair of the chamber of commerce, Viv Abbott, said: “We are really trying to showcase what Ottery has to offer.
You may also want to watch:
“You don’t need the hassle, time and expense of travelling into Exeter, when you can get most things right here on your doorstep.
“Hopefully, there will be a good buzz around the town over the weekend.”
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 6 Football in support of mental health
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 9 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 10 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
An ‘Ottery Loyalty Card’ will be available and anyone who gets three stamps from different businesses will go into a draw to win an ‘Ottery Gift Box’.
Prizes donated by the town’s businesses include a cream tea for two, an MOT, gift vouchers and much more.
Abbotts DIY, of Jesu Street, will welcome the famed dog from the TV Dulux adverts as a celebrity guest for the day and people can pop in to have their picture taken with him.