Call for free parking for Sidford surgery
PATIENTS visiting Sidford doctor s surgery should not have to pay to park, say Sidmouth town councillors.
PATIENTS visiting Sidford doctor's surgery should not have to pay to park, say Sidmouth town councillors.
Discussing representations to make to East Devon District Council for its car park review, Councillor Jeffrey Turner said: "It is quite unfair there is a car parking charge at Sidford, particularly for people using the medical facilities.
"There is no charge for the health centre car park in Sidmouth, although it is difficult to use that."
He suggested some of the larger car park at Sidford be used specifically for patients' parking and be marked off as such.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Christine Drew, who has fought doggedly for free parking in Sidford, thought that was a good idea and said it was "imperative" the car park was free like the smaller one in Temple Street.
"It is important for small businesses, especially in Temple Street, with the downturn at the moment," she said.
- 1 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 2 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 3 Beachgoers share moment of wonder
- 4 Restarting the town band is music to the ears
- 5 New Ottery business aims to be far more than a shop
- 6 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 7 Manor Pavilion reopens with festival of summer plays
- 8 Cotton Traders announce Sidmouth opening date
- 9 Time to enjoy summer safely as restrictions lifts
- 10 Property of the Week: Green Gables
Councillor Graham Liverton applauded the EDDC review of car parks by Councillor Peter Halse, who will meet with Sidmouth Town Council's chairman and vice-chairman on Monday to hear the council's representations.
He said: "Sidford has been hit hard over the last few years, I would like to ask Councillor Halse how much takings they have taken from Sidford car park to outweigh its monitoring with staffing costs."
He said EDDC needed its income from car parks to keep the council tax down.