Call for free parking for Sidford surgery
PATIENTS visiting Sidford doctor s surgery should not have to pay to park, say Sidmouth town councillors.
PATIENTS visiting Sidford doctor's surgery should not have to pay to park, say Sidmouth town councillors.
Discussing representations to make to East Devon District Council for its car park review, Councillor Jeffrey Turner said: "It is quite unfair there is a car parking charge at Sidford, particularly for people using the medical facilities.
"There is no charge for the health centre car park in Sidmouth, although it is difficult to use that."
He suggested some of the larger car park at Sidford be used specifically for patients' parking and be marked off as such.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Christine Drew, who has fought doggedly for free parking in Sidford, thought that was a good idea and said it was "imperative" the car park was free like the smaller one in Temple Street.
"It is important for small businesses, especially in Temple Street, with the downturn at the moment," she said.
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 7 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 8 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 9 Sidmouth in Bloom seating project full of civic pride
- 10 New exhibition features Sidmouth view
Councillor Graham Liverton applauded the EDDC review of car parks by Councillor Peter Halse, who will meet with Sidmouth Town Council's chairman and vice-chairman on Monday to hear the council's representations.
He said: "Sidford has been hit hard over the last few years, I would like to ask Councillor Halse how much takings they have taken from Sidford car park to outweigh its monitoring with staffing costs."
He said EDDC needed its income from car parks to keep the council tax down.