Call for lower charges at Sidmouth car park
TOWN councillors would like to encourage more winter parking at Sidmouth s Manor Road car park and will ask EDDC to consider reducing its charges.
TOWN councillors would like to encourage more winter parking at Sidmouth's Manor Road car park and will ask EDDC to consider reducing its charges.
Considering how to respond to the district council's request to consider car parking in the town, it was agreed on Monday to press for lower charges.
"Parking at Manor Road is really too expensive in the winter months," said Councillor Jeffery Turner.
"It is hardly ever used and the district council would do well to re-consider charging at that car park for the winter months."
You may also want to watch:
He thought there should be reduced charges or free parking, similar to that at Peak Hill, especially with new parking restrictions being introduced along Manor Road to prevent all year round daytime parking.
Councillor Ann Liverton agreed it could encourage people to park there and said: "It is better, for a car park that is 98 percent empty in winter, to be used for a small parking fee rather than not used at all."
- 1 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 2 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 3 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 4 Salston Manor Hotel plans given the go-ahead
- 5 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 6 Sidmouth Ladies restart with a golf comp
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League Weekend Fixtures
- 8 Try tennis for FREE at Sidford Tennis Club
- 9 Local photographer captures the beauty of The Byes with his wildlife shots
- 10 Future housing may be destined for out of town sites
Town council chairman, Councillor Peter Sullivan, and his vice-chairman, Councillor Stuart Hughes, will meet with district councillor Peter Halse on Monday to put forward councillors' responses to his request for feedback to a parking survey.
"I have sympathy about the Manor Road car park," said Councillor Graham Liverton.
"EDDC has to get finances in, in order to keep the council tax down and car parking is the main source."
He said he had changed his views on a Park and Ride scheme for Sidmouth, and now backed the idea after listening to debate.
"It needs to be seriously looked at, it will cost a lot of money," he added.