Campaign 2010 backed by Sidmouth shoppers
Waitrose Community Matters scheme raises �620 for Sidmouth cancer group
FOR the first time since it instigated its Community Matters scheme, customers of Sidmouth’s Waitrose have voted overwhelmingly for one local charity.
Shoppers are clearly backing Campaign 2010, to raise enough money to buy a mini-bus for Sidmouth Living With Cancer Support Group.
Their green tokens filled to overflowing the container and staff had to make room for more.
The result of their votes meant a bumper cheque for �620 was this week handed to SLWC member Pauline Flower by Waitrose manager Mark Shoobridge, together with Community Matters co-ordinator Margaret Edwards-Hughes.
You may also want to watch:
“We were told this was the first time the box had been filled and they had to remove some of the tokens to let people put more in,” said Bill Lankester of SLWC.
“Our thanks go to Waitrose and all the customers who supported us.”
- 1 Public open gardens event cancelled due to Covid
- 2 Scores of nominations for town's champion awards
- 3 Former vice chairman of Sidmouth Town Council turns to murder
- 4 Centenary celebration for knitting legend, Audrey
- 5 Ottery's amazing community has pulled together during pandemic
- 6 Can YOU help successful Sidmouth Running Club Juniors grow?
- 7 East Devon MP humbled by care home visit
- 8 Review: Two rising stars shine bright in Sidmouth
- 9 Ottery brothers applaud customers on 'Freedom Day'
- 10 Pre-season fun for a rugby player
It is a busy time for the support group, which has now ordered its much-needed mini-bus to use within the community.
Jackie Oates, Radio 2’s Young Folk Singer of the Year in 2009, has agreed to sing at the group’s Minibus Appeal Variety Night it is staging at Sidmouth Manor Pavilion Theatre on Thursday, October 28. Jackie appeared at this year’s Sidmouth FolkWeek.
The following night Exeter Pipe and Drum Band will head the finale.
Tickets are �10, available from the theatre box office (01395) 514413. Shows start at 7.30pm and offer different performances, showcasing local talent, on both nights.