Campaign picks up pace as sponsored run approaches
- Credit: Archant
A drive to raise £10,000 for Newton Poppleford’s new primary school is halfway to achieving its target after a matter of months.
Around two dozen parents and teachers are now preparing to hit the tarmac as part of the latest fundraiser, which will take place next Saturday (March 24).
The village’s new £3million primary school is set to open in September but up to £30,000 is needed to help pay for vital supplies and furniture.
The school’s PTFA launched a fundraising drive at the end of last year with the aim of raising £10,000 towards the total.
So far, 23 parents and teachers have raised £2,000 in sponsorship for the 10k Sidmouth race. In total, the drive has raised £5,300.
You may also want to watch:
The run will kick off on The Esplanade outside Sidmouth Sailing Club at 9.30am.
Sidmouth Running Club will also be helping out and will be operating the start and finish line.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 3 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 6 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 9 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 10 Claire leaves political spotlight
Anyone who wants to go along and support the event has been invited to enjoy tea, coffee and cake at sailing club, on the seafront, between 10am to 11.30am.
Mum-of-two Emma Finch, from West Hill, who is spearheading the school’s fundraising campaign, said: “All friends, family, visitors and the local community are welcome to come and support the runners.
“The first finishers are estimated back at the sailing club around 10.15am with the last expected quite sometime after that.
“This is not just for the children at the school at the moment but for future generations.
“We have been overwhelmed with people’s generosity.
“It is starting to pick up momentum quite quickly which is great. I hope lots of people will come and join us for a cup of tea and a nice piece of cake on the seafront.”
A group of 12 year six children have also organised to take part in a 20 mile walking challenge at Exmoor on May 5 in a bid to raise vital funds for their new school and its indoor and outdoor e
A summer fete will also take place at the Pavillion in Newton Poppleford and will include a raffle and sponsored activities for the children to take part in.
More information about the up coming fundraisers will be released at a later date.
Visit justgiving.com/newtonpopplefordschoolassociation to show your support for the school.