Cancer battle dashed dying mum’s dream wedding hope
BRAVE mum Naomi Thomas’ battle with incurable cancer dashed her hopes of a dream wedding.
Naomi, 29, and fianc�e Graham, 32, became engaged a month before she was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009.
The couple, who have a 13 month-old son called Devon, hoped to tie the knot this year - but haven’t been able to afford a wedding since learning the disease had returned and spread to Naomi’s spine.
Naomi, a former wedding planner, doesn’t know how long she has left but has come to terms with the fact she will not survive the cancer. The average life expectancy for her condition is five years.
“We desperately want to get married before anything happens so Devon knows that mummy and daddy were very much in love,” Naomi told the Herald.
You may also want to watch:
“We want each other to have the memory of a wonderful wedding for when I am no longer here.
“Most of all I want to be Graham’s wife. Even when I do pass away, no one will ever be able to take our marriage away from us.
- 1 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 2 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 3 Postie raises £6K for charity by walking 100 miles
- 4 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
- 5 The more we work together the better it will be
- 6 Further improvements for Sidmouth Town FC
- 7 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 8 Show of Art set to captivate Kennaway House visitors
- 9 Sidmouth garden show to take place as lockdown eases
- 10 Golfing season underway at Sidmouth GC
“We’d provisionally booked a beautiful hotel for the August bank holiday just gone. But, due to treatment and lack of funds, it just wasn’t possible so we had to pull out with two months to go.
“My health and our son had to be our priority so we couldn’t afford the wedding.”
Despite her wedding heartache, Naomi has organised a charity event in January to raise money for three cancer causes that have aided her.