Cancer charity to be boosted by Woolbrook pub event
A WOOLBROOK pub is holding another fundraising event for cancer sufferers following last year s success.
A WOOLBROOK pub is holding another fundraising event for cancer sufferers following last year's success.
Sally and Steve Jackson have chosen Cancer Research UK as its charity after one of their regulars was diagnosed with a rare terminal cancer.
"Last year we had three regulars and one member of staff all suffering with cancer and decided to have a charity event to raise money for FORCE and the Sidmouth Hospice," said the couple, who run The Balfour Arms.
"Thankfully three of them have gone into remission. Unfortunately one has been diagnosed as terminal and has requested that this year the money be raised for Cancer Research."
Last year's event raised �3,500. Now they are organising a party-style event on Saturday, June 27, with live music from Chris Stucky and The Dogs, together with karaoke "later on once people have a little more courage".
"We will be having a Gladiator jousting competition in the garden, along with a barbeque and cocktail bar," they said.
- 1 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 2 Man in court accused of torching Ottery woman's car
- 3 Play abour real life leaves audience filled with feel good laughter
- 4 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 5 Jubilee social evening engendered much interest, conversation and questions
- 6 Circus proposed for Sidmouth next year
- 7 Help clean up Sidmouth as In Bloom judges' visit approaches
- 8 Folk Festival gears up to bring Sidmouth to life with music
- 9 Do you remember the general election of 1979?
- 10 Church flower festival flourishes again after two 'lost' years
All profits from ticket sales - �5 from the pub - prize draw and swear box, will be donated to the charity.