Cards mean cash for hospice
A CHARITABLE Sidmouth resident is staging an event to celebrate Children’s Hospice South West’s 15th birthday.
Adrienne Seddon, 46, has planned a coffee and cards sale tomorrow at her home, 53 Winslade Road, 11am-4pm. The date marks 15 years since the opening of Little Bridge House, near Barnstaple in North Devon.
On sale will be home made cakes, preserves, jewellery and Phoenix trading cards, and there will be a raffle. People can also browse newspaper cuttings about the hospice.
Adrienne has been involved with the hospice since it started in 1995 and has run card parties for it in the past. She was chairman of the East Devon friends group from 2000 to 2005.
She joined Phoenix trading, an independent stationary company, six years ago. She sells cards directly to customers and holds card parties at people’s homes. This supplements her day job as counters assistant at Sidmouth’s Waitrose store.
Adrienne said: “People buy into Phoenix for a small sum and then work independently. We also sell at craft fairs and fetes.”
The hospice was founded by Eddie and the late Jill Farwell to help life limited children and their families, as they had two life limited children themselves.
- 1 'Some businesses may not survive Sidmouth roadworks'
- 2 Temperatures drop to -5C in Devon - but how's the weekend looking?
- 3 Exeter vaccine centre at Greendale will remain open
- 4 School steps up safety at road crossing areas
- 5 Managing the woodland at the Knapp in Sidmouth
- 6 Members of South West drugs gang jailed for combined 40 years
- 7 British Heart Foundation shop in Sidmouth urgently seeking volunteers
- 8 New police station will help address challenges in keeping residents safe
- 9 Abolishing BBC licence fee is 'sparpling' from bigger issue
- 10 Careless charity shop donors cost Devon Air Ambulance money
Their aim was to bring expert palliative care nearer to the region’s children as then the nearest children’s hospice was Helen and Douglas House, Oxford.
In the last decade, a second hospice Charlton Farm has opened, and Little Harbour the third hospice is to open in Cornwall in 2011.
Adrienne said: “This event is about celebrating the hospice, people can come and have a coffee and a chat. Everyone is welcome.”
Donations of any kind are welcome. Call Adrienne on (01395) 513518.